Welcome to the ALL Connect KS2-3 Transition Toolkit
This handbook is a resource designed specifically for KS2 & KS3 teachers of languages.
A training module written to accompany this resource can be found below.
The ALL Connect Transition Toolkit is a practical, useful guide containing a set of ‘tools’ (ideas, strategies and resources), designed to inform the process of transition in languages teaching and learning between KS2 and KS3. It has been developed and published as part of the Association for Language Learning ALL Connect programme, funded by the Department for Education.
These materials are aimed at an audience of teachers who will be teaching pupils at KS2. Languages of exemplification in the materials and follow-up modules are French, German and Spanish. These materials are freely available for any teacher to use. They must not be used for commercial reasons such as training sessions where attendees are charged a delegate fee by a trainer / training organisation. They may not be used without acknowledgement of the original source. If you are using them, ALL would be very pleased to hear from you, as it is of particular interest to us to know about coverage. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
Materials from the CILT Primary Languages Training Zone reproduced by kind permission of the Education Development Trust (formerly CfBT Education Trust).
- CILT PLTZ: At_the_beach_TeacherLanguage.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Colour Months Story.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Conversation_Model.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Conversation_Performance.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Dash_Game.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Dictionary_skills.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Easter_words.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Find_your_partner.zip
- CILT PLTZ: French_Sound-spelling_links.zip
- CILT PLTZ: From_Presentation_to_Production.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Greetings_numbers_colours_TeacherLanguage.zip
- CILT PLTZ: International_Exchange.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Jigsaw.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Kandinsky.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Kandinsky Shapes.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Learning_vocabulary.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Listening_Clothes_Game.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Penfriend_Letter.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Puppets.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Reading_a_poem.zip
- CILT PLTZ: The_Millers_Song.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Transition_Aladdin_Storytelling.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Transition_GeographicalContext.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Transition_new_contexts.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Transition_Un_lion_a_Paris.zip
- CILT PLTZ: Writing_colours.zip
Welcome to the ALL Connect KS2-3 Transition Toolkit module
This is the training module designed to accompany the ALL Connect Transition Toolkit, and is specifically for KS2 & KS3 teachers of languages.
There are five themed modules for KS2 teachers of languages and two KS2-KS3 modules. The modules are not sequential, and are presented here in four formats:
- A Powerpoint presentation for use in a training session
- A pdf for Trainers to use in preparing for a training session; this includes the notes pages that accompany the Powerpoint screens
- A Powerpoint presentation for self–access by a practising teacher or trainee (this version does not include discussion and has reduced notes) in case you wish to view the Powerpoint separately from the Notes
- A pdf of the Self Access notes page – you might like to access this version in order to have the Notes visible at the same time as the screens.
The materials of this module are aimed at an audience of teachers who will be teaching pupils at KS2. Languages of exemplification in the materials and follow-up modules are French, German and Spanish. These materials are freely available for any teacher to use. They must not be used for commercial reasons such as training sessions where attendees are charged a delegate fee by a trainer / training organisation. They may not be used without acknowledgement of the original source. If you are using them, ALL would be very pleased to hear from you, as it is of particular interest to us to know about coverage. Please email email@example.com to let us know.
The format of the module is as follows:
A presentation for delivery by a Lead Teacher to a workshop of teacher participants. The workshop duration should be two hours, in which the presentations below and accompanying materials / resources and activities should be delivered.
Teachers using the self-access version should also expect to take around the same length of time.
Following delivery of a workshop, teacher participants will undertake independent study of the Transition Toolkit itself.
Materials in sequential order:
You will need to download these materials when you click through to them. If you are a Lead Teacher we suggest you do so before you deliver a workshop session.
|For Lead Teachers to deliver to teacher participants:||For teachers to access as self study:|
For immediate use by teacher participants after the taught workshop
Teachers may wish to view the KS2 Programmes of Study for languages.
They can also access:
- The ALL Connect Transition Toolkit
- The ALL Connect KS2-3 Transition module
- The ALL Progression & Transition Wiki
The handouts referenced in the presentation can be found below:
- KS2-3 Transition Toolkit Handout 1_Task1_PoS_Card_Sort
- KS2-3 Transition Toolkit Handout 2a_Task2_KS2_Spanish_Pencil_Case_indefinite_articles
- KS2-3 Transition Toolkit Handout 2b_Task2_LinguisticAnalysisSheet
- KS2-3 Transition Toolkit Handout 3_Task4_French_KeepTalking_a_la_plage
- KS2-3 Transition Toolkit Handout 4_Task5_Intercultural_Understanding
- KS2-3 Transition Toolkit Handout 5_Information_sharing_transition_proforma
- KS2-3 Transition Toolkit Handout 6_Y7_Spanish_Start_to_year_questionnaire